What to EXPECT after your treatment
There might be redness, swelling or tenderness in the treated area. This is a standard result of the injections and will generally disappear within a few days. The swelling right after a lip treatment may last longer than fillers administered in other areas. If symptoms persist for over seven days or other reactions, occur ensure that you contact the clinic where you had your dermal filler treatment administered.
Bruising is a common and expected side effect of any dermal filler treatment. It will not effect your end result. Please plan your treatments accordingly (NOT 2 DAYS BEFORE YOUR WEDDING).
Bruising is unfortunate, and although can sometimes be due to poor technique it is often just due to the use of a needle/cannula and a predisposition to bleeding and/or BAD LUCK!
To reduce bruising it is vital to adhere to the aftercare regime. Please avoid any medications containing NSAIDs, aspirin, vitamin E and ginseng for the week prior and a week following a treatment.
IMMEDIATE aftercare – What you should do at home
- Apply a cool compress to the treatment area (do not apply ice directly to the skin) for 10 minutes every half an hour on the day of treatment.
- Avoid any heat-inducing activities for 24 hours such as strenuous exercise, spas, saunas and hot showers.
- Avoid pressure on the area for the first 48 hours (sleep on your back if possible, no face-down massages).
- Avoid alcohol for seven days prior and 7 days post-treatment for optimal results.
- Avoid active cosmeceutical products (AHAs, retinols, vitamin C) and oil-based makeup for 24 hours.
- Use a topical treatment to soothe and calm the skin such as Bepanthen or Arnica cream. Use this three times/day for the next seven days.
- Avoid facials, waxing, chemical peels, skin needling, microdermabrasion, IPL or laser treatments for two weeks after treatment.
- Do not massage the treatment area unless instructed to do so.
A top-up treatment within 3-4 weeks of the initial dermal filler treatment may be necessary to achieve optimal correction and results. Although results from fillers are immediate, the end result is not evident until this time as the filler ‘integrates’ into the skin. It can also take this long for swelling to settle, so it is essential to wait until this time for the dermal filler to settle.
There can also be asymmetries before this time (due to irregular swelling) too so don’t panic and trust in the process and trust the hands of dermal fillers with epiclinic Adelaide. Dermal filler products are long lasting but not permanent. Longevity depends on the type of filler used, its indication, compliance with aftercare and individual factors such as metabolism. Results are individual, and it may take a few treatments for your desired results.